[复制链接]

主题

回帖

2万

积分

管理员

积分
发表于 2013-2-21 18:38:18 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
BEIJING — It’s reminiscent, perhaps, of the trials of people accused of Nazi-era crimes, aJohn Demjanjuk, or aSamuel K.: in China this week, a man was tried formurdering a doctor during the Cultural Revolution, the China News Service reported.
A rare episode of justice for a neglected era? Judging by a discussion on China’s biggest microblog, Sina Weibo, ordinary people don’t necessarily see it just that way; rather, some are angry that a little guy, and not the masterminds of the violence, is being punished. What about the “ringleaders,” chief among them Mao Zedong, they are saying, often obliquely?
According to the report, which was widely disseminated online via news aggregators and other sites, the defendant at the rare trial this week, in Ruian in Zhejiang province, was a 80-plus-year-old man identified only as Mr. Qiu. He strangled a Mr. Hong with a rope in 1967, on the orders of a civilian militia, which suspected Mr. Hong of spying for a rival militia, the report said. Mr. Qiu had been on the run for decades and was arrested last July.
(For anEnglish-language account, see this article in the South China Morning Post, which may be behind a paywall.)
After the killing Mr. Qiu cut off Mr. Hong’s lower legs with a shovel “to make it easier to bury him,” and then he buried him, the report said.
Violence was common during the era: yesterday, I examined this painful time in aLetter from ChinaandRendezvous postabout Ping Fu, the businesswoman who wrote a controversial memoir.
As I wrote in my Letter, to this day, the state tightly controls discussion about the era – when many got away with, literally, murder.
“Have the main culprits who started the Cultural Revolution been punished?” asked a person with the handle Sansu dage, who added an angry red face to the posting.
“Actually, the biggest criminals of the Cultural Revolution have not been held responsible,” wrote a person with the handle Keji huangdan menwei chuangxin. “To pursue an ordinary criminal, decades later, is absurd.”
A_Jing wrote: “There should be mandatory courses in universities to talk clearly about the crimes against humanity during the Cultural Revolution!”
Wrote another: “All the cases from the Cultural Revolution should be tried.”
That’s extremely unlikely. A few key players were tried beginning in 1980, whenJiang Qing, Mao Zedong’s wife, and other members of the Gang of Four received lengthy sentences.
Yet, “I was Chairman Mao’s dog,” Ms. Jiang said in her defense. “Whomever he told me to bite, I bit.”

http://rendezvous.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/21/what-of-the-ringleaders-chinese-ask-about-cultural-revolution-case/?smid=tw-share
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

手机版|文革与当代史研究网

GMT+8, 2024-5-20 18:34 , Processed in 0.016994 second(s), 20 queries .